POST-UNION (1932) METHODIST CHURCHES, BRISTOL
Some of this information originally appeared on or still appears on other Methodist pages
Filton - St Andrew's Methodist (Gloucester Road North - S.Glos)
A large church of 1972 replacing two former churches . The oldest chapel was built in the early 1850's when Filton was tiny. This was replaced in 1928 by a 20's gothic building which survived as a library until 1999 and is likely to be demolished soon. The exterior typical of its date but inside the church has a nice gothic folded ceiling on wooden piers and arches and a plain arch for the pulpit. The new church of 1956 and 1972 is a pleasant if plain building typical of its time of brick with concrete windows. The organ from here came from Ebeneezer King Street.
Fishponds Methodist (Fishponds Road, now in Guinea Lane)
|A new 70''s building which looks like a gym from outside! The interior is much more successful. This replaced a sizeablel building on the site where Poundstretcher now stands, of 1894 itself replacing another building. This church was decorated gothic in style typical of its date with gothic furniture inside. Demolished for a Tesco Supermarket, now sold to the firm above.|
|Foundation Stone laid on August
24th 1957 and the church consecrated on May 10th 1958. It
was built in commemoration of the Langton Street
Chapel. Long nave with clerestory like windows, a
narrower apsidal end surrounded by lower vestries or
rooms. Unusually there is also a small tower. The hall to
the south seems later.
The picture (left) was taken in May 2005, by which time services had moved from the church into the adjoining hall. The church itself seems destined for demolition and is boarded up.
Parkway, Conduit Place
This church was built 1972 to replace two or three nearby chapels both demolished for the M32 junction 3's complex of roads. (Salem, Brookland and Wesley)
Parkway is a rather nice octagonal building incorporating some glass from the old chapels. Most of the windows however are at clerestory level and the roof of the church is octagonal.
A new church was erected in the 1960s to the south of St Mary Redcliffe church, replacing Langton Street Chapel and Redcliffe Crescent churches, both destroyed in the war.
Neil reports subdivision of this interior is imminent (June 2005)..
Summerhill, St George
see Clowes on the Primitive Methodist Page
Research by Neil Marchant, with contributions by Phil Draper
If anyone can help with additional information / history of any of these churches, or any have any photographs please get in touch.
Back to Bristol churches Index
Back to Methodist Index