INDEPENDENT METHODIST CHURCHES
The independent Methodist church are still a separate body from the Wesleyan Methodist churches, their government being congregational. This denomination has churches remaining mostly in the North West of the country and the Bristol region.
BROOKLAND METHODIST, Lower Ashley Road
|Founded in 1888 by William Gibbons as an Independent Wesleyan Church. It joined the United Methodist Church in 1914.|
MOUNT ZION BEDMINSTER Victor Road/West Street
|Built 1890 a rather odd west
front. This is because the miners who built this chapel
without the services of an architect used materials from
a church being demolished in town. The west front is a
jumble of lancets and a offset arched west door . The
lancets however are not completed and the blocks have not
been cut. The west front 32ft wide is of random rubble
but the sides more conventionally are of brick with
debased classical windows. Interior lighter with only a
west gallery and pleasant gallery and organ painted
Damaged in the second world war, the church has recent new rooms at the rear.
BETHESDA 1892 Soundwell Rd/ Staplehill junction.
This chapel is tucked away from the corner Soundwell Road in a small garden. Quite a small chapel with a porch and large round headed windows. The pulpit end of the chapel has square headed windows. Rather pretty building.
|KINGSWOOD (Mill Lane,
Warmley- S.Glos) - now
WARMLEY IND METHODIST
A small building with very wide lancets. Built 1899 the church has a west front with three tall west lancets. Still in use, and better known as Warmley Independent Methodist church. Later hall extension of the ?1970s.
|In Bell Hill / Two Mile Hill Road stood this small Gothic church. It was demolished in the 1990s but nothing had been built on the site by 2005.|
Research by Neil Marchant, with contributions by Phil Draper & John Dolan
If anyone can help with additional information / history of any of these churches, or any have any photographs please get in touch.
Back to Bristol churches Index
Back to Methodist Index