|Began life as a mission church from St Christopher in
Brislington, the foundation stone laid on July 20th 1934.
and the church consecrated on 6th November the same year.
It was a simple rectangle and ended where the chancel
steps are today. The church became a rapid succes and
extensions were completed in October 1939 (new
tunnel-vaulted chancel, aisle-like transepts and organ
chamber). The architect was W.Rudman for all. Little else
was done until 1971 when the organ was moved and the
space used to create a Lady Chapel.
The church is no great architecture and is of a scale that suits the modern usage. The interior is partiularly low and in feel has been likened to a Nissan Hut. Yet the building holds a certain charm, the dormer windows in the roof, the tiled extension to shelter the bell hung on the west gable, the metalwork turret over the chancel arch all work albeit a tad eccentric.
Back to Bristol churches Index