Main Index

St Michael-the-Less



This church stands on the edge of Victoria Park, at the end of Marmaduke Street. It was a mission church, the tag "the-Less" referring to the nearby parent church of St Michael and All Angels in Windmill Hill. It opened in 1886 but reached its final form in 1910. The west end was damaged by air raids in 1940 but the building was repaired and reopened in 1942.
The church consisted of a nave and lower apsidal chancel. A simple wooden screen divided the chancel from the nave. The church held its last service on 12th February 1956 and the church was sold in 1958.

The building has been much altered since its closure as a church, when it became a garage. Presumably the side extensions are of this time, as well as the obvious openings, now blocked, in these extensions and the chancel.

The west front, photographed through a hole in the high metal gates that enclose the yard, is brick with three central tall cusped lights and lower light below flanked by outer matching windows.

The building seems to be redundant again and deteriorating fast. A surprise therefore is that the cusped lights in the chancel still have stained glass in situ. In this condition, and owing to its lack of architectural value, this church is a prime candidate for demolition in the next few years.

Back to Bristol churches Index

page updated 23rd April 2005