Main Index

St Michael & All Angels

Windmill Hill


The first part of the church built was the chancel in 1886 to the designs of E.H.Edwards, the nave and aisles followed in 1901 but there was a different architect, J.Bevan. This church suffered a disasterous fire in 1926 and the church rebuilt to a different design by P Hartland Thomas in 1927.

  These three pictures show the church as it was before the fire and immediately after. Note the ornate bellcote over the west gable, the west narthex and the fleche over the chancel arch. Hartland Thomas replaced the Geometric tracery with simple cusped lights, grouped at the east and west in. five stepped lights, and in the aisles in three stepped lights. The aisles were not cross gabled before the fire.


On closer inspection some original parts have been incorporated into the new church, including the odd semi-circular end to the south aisle and the south wall of the chancel, with the transeptal projection and the lower bay to the east.

There is a fuller history section on the parish website

Back to Bristol churches Index

page created 6th July 2009