|The church was founded by the parish
of the Sacred Heart, Westbury-on-Trym, in 1956 to serve
the new estate of Henbury which was rapidly being built
close to the village centre of Henbury and the Blaise
Estate. A temporary wooden church was erected in Keinton
Walk, and a presbytery erected alongside in the 1960s.
This church is still in use but received a stone built atrium at the west end in the 1970s.
|The interior is practical, a simple light and airy building, thanks to the near continuous upper windows of the side walls. Simple Stations of the Cross below the windows. The benches are older than the building and obviously were in use elsewhere before coming here. Maybe too the little organ and the wooden font came from another church and the brass candle stand is the grandest item in the church. The stained glass roundel too may have been brought here from another church.|
|The Viscount Canticus
organ in St. Antonys Church was purchased new and
installed on All Saints Day, 1st November, 2002.
Purchased by the then Parish Priest Fr. Michael Walsh in
consultation with a professional organist friend, Mr.
Andrew Mitchell, who provided a substantial proportion of
the cost, it replaced an inadequate and outdated machine
of poor quality which was consigned to the church hall.
(Info from Andrew Mitchell via Email 28/10/12)
If anyone can fill in the gaps in St Antony's history (e.g. dates, whether there are or were plans for a permanent church, or from which churches the fittings came, please get in touch via the Email button below.
Back to Bristol churches Index