Millerd Map of 1673 (detail)
M= St Ewen, N= Christ Church, D= All Saints, E = St Werburgh
At the original crossroads in the heart of the medieval city of Bristol stood three churches, and a High Cross. All Saints and Christ Church survive, the High Cross now stands as a garden ornament in the gardens at Stourhead, Wiltshire. St Ewen does not survive. St Ewen is thought to be St Ouen, a saint from Normandy.
The church was founded in the early 12th Century, was rebuilt and enlarged over the years until the parish was united to that of Christ Church in 1790. The church was demolished in 1820, and replaced by what is today the Old Council House.
Inside Christ Church, the C17 font from St Ewen's church is preserved, and stands in pride of place inside the small north-west baptistry (see picture on Christ Church page). In the south chapel of the same church is the Banner of the Merchant Taylors who originally owned the south aisle in St Ewen's.
Matthew's directory of 1793/4 says:-
" St Ewen's Church, in Ewens Court near Broad Street, is very ancient, mentioned in deeds so early as 1140, is the smallest Church in Bristol, having only one aile 66 feet long. The tower is square, 60 feet high, with battlements on the top, and contains two bells. The parish being by a late act of Parliament united with that of Christ Church, the Corporation are empowered to take it down, when some intended improvements shall render its demolition necessary.
The cost for a breakfast on Corpus Christi day 1460 is thus entered on the Church book,
Item, for a calves head and hinge - - - 3d
Item, for two rounds of beef - - - - - 6d
Item, for bread and ale - - - - - - 8d
Item, for Master Parson for his dinner - - 4d
Item, for the Clerk - - - - - - - - 2d
Item, for bearing the Cross - - - - - 2d "
Page updated 22nd September 2001
Back to the Bristol Churches List